I #LoveMnWinter! Today, I love reading.
By Lucy Roberts
Today I love Minnesota winter because it gives me the opportunity to spend hours at the library and get my reading game on.
I live in Hennepin County, and our library system rules! I could talk about the benefits of libraries forever. Most important to me, they are FREE places for community members to access a variety of resources and just spend time in a warm place. I’m grateful I can walk to my nearest library, so even when I’m feeling lazy I still have access to thousands of books, online resources and other humans with minimal effort on my end.
This winter, I have been summoning my inner Matilda* and have spent so much time in the stacks that I have even developed relationships with some of the library staff. I love how supportive they are of me (basically) loitering in their building for hours.
*Actual footage of me walking home from the library with all my books
I love reading! And the cold winter temps, darker and shorter days have provided me the opportunity to say “yes” to reading and expanding my mind and saying “no” to going out.
Here is a list of books I’ve checked out from the library since December. I don’t recommend all of them, some of them are just fluff to take my mind off the cold, but some of them have really changed my mindset and resulted in new rituals.
- The Ethical Slut: A Practical Guide to Polyamory, Open Relationships & Other Adventures, Janet W. Hardy and Dossie Easton
- Masterminds and Wingmen: Helping Our Boys Cope with Schoolyard Power, Locker-Room Tests, Girlfriends, and the New Rules of Boy World, Rosalind Wiseman
- The Blood of Emmett Till, Timothy B. Tyson
- Girls & Sex: Navigating the Complicated New Landscape, Peggy Orenstein
- What Happened, Hillary Clinton
- Crazy Sexy Diet: Eat Your Veggies, Ignite Your Spark, and Live Like You Mean It!, Kris Carr
- Witches, Sluts, Feminists: Conjuring the Sex Positive, Kristen J. Sollee
- Wheatgrass Nature's Finest Medicine: The Complete Guide to Using Grass Foods, Steve Meyerowitz; Robert Ross; Michael Parman; Nancy Flaxman
- Unqualified, Anna Faris
Why Suffer?: How I Overcame Illness & Pain Naturally, Ann Wigmore
- The Curated Closet, Anuschka Rees
- Year of No Sugar: A Memoir, Eve Schaub
Read about last year’s collaborative challenge to love one thing about winter everyday in February, and sign up to share a post in 2018 here. Tweet your own loves: #lovemnwinter @greaseragmpls.