I'm super-excited for Babes in Bikeland this weekend! It's not quite the only thing I talk about, but it's certainly on my mind. I'm pretty lucky that my roommate is racing too. So what am I bringing to the race with me?
This post on what to bring on a ride is a good place to start. I have a small-ish (my smallest but not super-small) backpack that will contain
- everything I need for changing a flat (listed in the other post)
- food! Probably granola bars. SO important.
- appropriate sunscreen or outerwear based on the weather forecast
- a map, although I think there is also one available at the race
- at least one permanent marker for writing on the map/myself as we plan our route and for anything else I need to write down (Low always recommends this, 'cause what if you meet a new riding buddy or get a rec for a great restaurant?)
- some extra paper--same reasons
- my U-lock...this is heavy and I don't know if you always need one while racing, but I may be making some stops on my way to/from the race
- water (easily accessible from the water bottle holder on my bike)
- Little Black Dress. TOTALLY optional, but there are costume and fancy-dress categories, so live it up a little. I was planning to wear this before the dress-up categories were announced, but now I'll have to think about if I want to add something shiny.