Biking in the winter can be fun, enjoyable, and effective if you prepare well. While there are additional challenges – they can be easily overcome by smart riding. And, once you’re used to the colder temps and the feel of snow under your tire, it is a whole lot of fun!
Less daylight means we bike in the dark more often during winter – and drivers aren’t expecting to see cyclists in the streets this time of year. Bright colored and reflective clothing, combined with front and rear lights are essential. Mounting a light on your helmet allows you to direct the light as your turn your head, and it helps with seeing over snow banks.
RIDING IN SNOW & ICERead More
There is, miraculously, no snow or ice on the ground yet! I'm sure I just jinxed it and we are going to get a blizzard tomorrow, but no worries. You are prepared! You attended Grease Rag's 3rd Annual Winter Skill Share! You learned about your bike options, gear, clothing, and safety. You talked with other WTFs that are starting out or are old hands at winter riding.
You are winter warriors.
For your reference, and for those of you that could not make our very well attended event, we are offering write ups of the sessions, written by the presenters. Did I mention that they are the most awesome volunteers? Thank you, volunteers!
Bike setups and options, by Janneke (We will be posting this shortly!)
Grease Rag Ride & Wrench has grown tremendously this year. With the addition of three nights per month, we are empowering more women and transgender cyclists by teaching bike mechanics, sharing knowledge, and building community.
Because of your generous donations to the Minneapolis Presents calendar project, Grease Rag has been able to support the folks who support us and expand our network of powerful WTF cyclists. Here are a few things we have done with our funds so far:
- We began the process of becoming a 501(c)(3) non-profit. Our principal board members include Laura Kling, Kat McCarthy, and Jamie MacDonald.
- We hosted our biggest skill share yet, our third annual Winter Cycling Skill Share, in early November. We offered a small stipend to our presenters and a small stipend to the graphic designer who made the flyer.
- We solidified our logo and printed reflective stickers! You can pick one up at the next open shop night. They’re also available for $1 donation at Sunrise Cyclery.
- We will continue to print and distribute flyers to spread the word about Grease Rag.
- We placed an advertisement in a local zine, Creative Ladies Are Powerful (C.L.A.P.), and gave a small stipend to the artist who drew the ad. (Keep an eye out for the winter issue of the zine, Kat & Low wrote an article on winter cycling).
- We are offering reduced cost scholarships for members wanting to attend a Krav Maga self-defense and cycling skill share in December.
If you think Grease Rag is providing a vital service for the Minneapolis cycling community, you too can support us. We are always looking for more WTF organizers. Share your ideas and take action!
This is the exciting time of year when you can say, "Today was the coldest day this winter!" everyday.
This was my coldest commute since March! And I was ready. How about you?
My chic attire for a 19 (with windchill I'd say it felt more like 10-15) degree day.Read More
*Sorry about the late post... I had a lot going on and it slipped my mind. Hope to see you tonight!
Grease Rag is this Thursday, November 17th!
(This event takes place the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month)
Group Ride will resume in the spring!
Grease Rag NE will be December 13th.
Grease Rag wants you to know...
The first U of M Grease Rag was fun, and well-attended! There will be no U of M Grease Rag on 11/24 (Thankstaking Day) because the Bike Center will be closed.
I will be posting the first of the Winter Skill Share recap posts this Friday, right on through to next week! <3
I posted about some bike jorbs- check it.
If you're interested in participating in a WTF-only bicycle self-defense class, please let me know ASAP. (Group rate is $50, probably 12/18, I'll let you know by 11/22.)
C.L.A.P. is asking for submissions to their winter issue! Grease Rag is purchasing our first advertising space. Check it out.
Saturday, 11/19 is Cranksgiving! I'll be there with my trailer.
STICKERS are here for a suggested donation of $1! Get 'em while they're hot.Read More