Catherine is a Grease Rag friend, and she posted on her blog about how to look professional in the beauty industry when you are biking to work. IN THE WINTER! It’s not that hard. It is possible!
This is how I show up to my job. I am the Spa Director for Haus Salon – a high end salon and spa.
Now, I know what you’re thinking “Oh, she has tons of hair & makeup stuff at her disposal to get ready with.”
Let me tell you, the answer is a big ‘ol giant ‘NO.’ Although I have incredibly supportive employers, I absolutely do not get to use the salon space or it’s supplies to get ready (no one wants to see my sweaty head bent over a shampoo sink when they’re paying for a $50-$150 haircut).
I wanted to include an image of my typical winter gear/supplies that I have. The day of this picture was my normal 7 mile commute in to work with a -5 degree Farenheit temperature.
- Two paniers attached to my bike rack.
- base layer (that is almost always soaked through w/ sweat cause I still over layer on a regular basis).
- Mid layer(s) based on weather.
- Showers Pass coat (love this, it’s thin & has served all this winter).
- Showers Pass Wind Pants (by far my favorite item).
- Neck warmer.
- Helmet (the one shown here is my Snowboarding helmet, which I like because it keeps me warm w/out having to layer a thick hat under it).
- Wicking socks.
- Wicking cap.
- Lastly, the most important item, my thermos of coffee. I want my hot coffee ASAP when I arrive in.